Women of the Stage: online
Sign up to our mailing list to be the first to hear about 2023 course dates.
From Ancient Greece to Shakespeare’s time, women were firmly forbidden to tread the boards. This exclusion of women on stage remained in force until the years following the Restoration of 1661. Yet since then, have the artistic boundaries placed on women really shifted that much?
This potted history combines practical work on selected scenes from Shakespeare, Restoration Drama, and contemporary plays; analysis of key texts and characters; and, crucially, insights into their historical context.
RADA tutor and director Ingrid Schiller will help you untangle the text and relish the language; while RADA tutor Faye Maughan leads you through the dances and deportment of the different eras you move through.
The work builds towards an informal presentation in the final session: an opportunity to share work in development, free from the pressures of showing a more 'polished' performance.
Part of our Theatre History in Practice and Text & Craft series of courses.
- No audition/some selection possible.
- Applicants have to be 18+. There is no upper age limit on this course.
- We are able to make reasonable adjustments to our training where possible. Many of our courses are highly practical. Most involve movement and some may include work on the floor. You may also be asked to read from various texts. If you have access requirements and/or require more information on access and facilities in our RADA buildings, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Fluent, confident knowledge of the English language is essential.
- Students should have some experience of performance and be prepared to present material in front of other students.
Who is this course suitable for?
- International actors, directors and students of theatre history.
- Professionals and amateurs wishing to extend their knowledge of feminist drama.
- Professionals and amateurs looking to develop their skills.
How to apply
Complete an application form here.
For any queries regarding this course, please email email@example.com.
Please note: All courses are non-refundable and non-transferable.
Frequently asked questions
Will I get a certificate at the end of the course?
Yes. A Certificate of Completion is available for this course, providing attendance has been fulfilled, and the student has adhered to Rules and Regulations of the Academy (see below).
Does the course count towards university credits?
There are no University Credits associated with this course.