Winter Shorts - Joan of Arc, Henry VI: Online
Joan of Arc (Henry VI)
Was Joan of Arc a saint, a sorceress or a sexual deviant? And why did she recant “on the stand”? Shakespeare drastically changes his portrayal of her in the course of a single play. Was the great man himself put under pressure? Uncover the hidden story of Shakespeare’s La Pucelle with RADA tutor Michelle Chadwick. Joining Michelle on this course is noted author, broadcaster, and expert on late sixteenth century Catholicism, Elizabeth Norton, who lectures at King’s College, London in Early Modern European history.
Memorably, three witches inhabit Macbeth, and these ‘weird sisters’ are supernatural beings. But what about Shakespeare’s other plays in which women are unthinkingly dubbed ‘witches’? How are these crude assumptions questioned?
This short course explores sorcery and sexual politics in Shakespeare's work, examining a remarkable woman who existed within male dominion – and who, by transgressing patriarchal norms, became labelled as a witch.
No specialist knowledge is required, but you should be prepared to read portions of texts, as these courses are both practical as well as discursive; and the “act of acting” will play a key part in discovering the way the play works.
Course dates - Joan of Arc, Henry VI
- Thursday 15 Oct, Friday 16 Oct 6-9pm and Saturday 17 Oct - 12-6pm
or weekend two
- Thursday 22 Oct, Friday 23 Oct 6-9pm and Saturday 24 Oct - 12-6pm
or weekend three
- Thursday 29 Oct, Friday 30 Oct - 6-9pm and Saturday 31 Oct - 12-6pm
How to book
About RADA's Winter Shorts
RADA's Winter Shorts is a set of nine online acting courses, designed to challenge and inspire.
Delivered by tutors from RADA's acting faculty, you can book all nine courses, or each one separately.
The nine courses are:
- Winter Shorts - Hamlet: Online
- Winter Shorts - The Crucible: Online
- Winter Shorts - The Duchess of Malfi: Online
- Winter Shorts - Eleanor, Henry VI, Part 2: Online
- Winter Shorts - Joan of Arc, Henry VI: Online
- Winter Shorts - Paulina, The Winter's Tale: Online
- Winter Shorts - Creativity in Motion: Online
- Winter Shorts – Love, Passion, and Intimacy: Online
- Winter Shorts – Shapeshifting: Online
Terms and conditions
Please note: All courses are non-refundable and non-transferable. All classes begin promptly and latecomers may not be admitted.
Even though we're working through screens, participants should wear loose and comfortable clothing and be prepared to remove their shoes.