Foundation Course in acting
1. I am under 18, can I apply to RADA?
Candidates must be at least 18 when the BA (Hons) in Acting by 1 September 2018. We do offer opportunities for young people under 18. These include the RADA Youth Company, Young Actors' Workshops, Summer Schools and Shakespeare Awards.
2. Is there an upper age limit to apply to RADA?
There is no upper age limit and all candidates who apply are offered an audition.
3. What qualifications do I need?
Application is by audition only; no formal qualifications are required.
4. Is the audition procedure for the Foundation in Acting Course the same as the BA (Hons) in Acting?
You should apply for the Foundation in Acting programme in the same way as the BA (Hons) in Acting, by using the application form on our website. You can apply for the Foundation in Acting programme at the same time as the BA (Hons) in Acting.
5. Can I just apply for the Foundation in Acting course (and not the BA (Hons) in Acting)?
Yes, please just tick the relevant box on the application form.
6. Do RADA hold auditions outside of London?
Yes. RADA hold regional auditions in Leicester, Manchester, Chester, Newcastle, Bristol and Plymouth as well as overseas in Dublin, New York and Los Angeles. Audition dates are included on the application form. Please make sure you note the different closing dates if you would like to audition in locations outside London.
7. When is the deadline for applications and when do the auditions take place?
The deadlines and audition dates vary according to each location. If you are looking to audition outside of London, please note that there are a limited number of allotted times for each venue. We advise that you apply early to avoid disappointment. We do not accept any late applications.
8. What are the audition requirements?
Each candidate should prepare three speeches – two classical (Shakespeare or another Elizabethan/Jacobean playwright) and one contemporary/modern speech ie from a play written post 1960. You will usually be asked to perform one classical and one contemporary piece, but the panel may ask to see your alternative classical piece. Please refer to the overview page.
9. How many students are accepted each year?
RADA accept 32 students on to the Foundation in Acting programme each year.
10. After I’ve sent in my application, how long will it take to hear back from you?
PLEASE NOTE: Applicants wishing to apply for the reduced rate audition fee should ensure that they allow plenty of time (or use special delivery) before the 11 December 2017 deadline to ensure receipt prior to RADA’s Christmas closing. Applications received after the deadline will be charged the full application fee.
11. If I do not attend my audition will my application fee be refunded?
The application fee is not refundable under any circumstances
12. What if I am ill on the day of my audition?
13. Does RADA offer audition feedback?
RADA is unable to provide audition feedback at all stages of the process due to the large number of applicants.
RADA encourages candidates to get as much experience of acting in front of an audience as they can. It is also useful to see as much theatre as you can and to continue to read plays to familiarise yourself with as wide a range of dramatic literature as possible.
14. Can I defer entry?
No. You should apply for a place in the year before the September you wish to begin your training.
15. How do I pay for the tuition fees?
There is no government funding available for the Foundation in Acting programme as it does not lead to an accredited qualification. Students gaining a place on this course will need to pay the fee themselves
16. If I get a place on the Foundation in Acting Programme, do I automatically get a place on the BA in (Hons) in Acting the following year?
No, students on the Foundation in Acting programme may choose to apply for the BA (Hons) in Acting programme and will need to follow the same admissions process. They do, however, skip the preliminary stage of the audition process and go straight to the second stage.
17. Do I have to pay the UK or international rate tuition fees?
The tuition fee rate is the same for UK/EU and international students.
18. Is there any accommodation/housing provided?
RADA does not currently have its own student accommodation but we do assist students in securing suitable housing prior to their joining the course.
View a full copy of our current PROSPECTUS