RADA is seeking a Principal to lead the Academy forward in a world where the performing arts are underfunded yet needed more than ever and where society and culture are the site both of radical change and of dissent and division.
We are looking for someone who will renew RADA, building on our celebrated past and leading us into new relationships with the creative industries and with society. Creativity is what defines and drives all our teachers and all our students, and our new Principal will harness, energise and celebrate that creativity, whilst also bringing their own creative vision of what an Academy can and should be in the 21st century.
The Principal is the senior executive leader of RADA providing artistic, and creative direction, and is responsible to the Chair of Council and Council for the quality and management of all the varied aspects of RADA’s work as an Higher Education Provider.
The ideal candidate for the position will have expertise in a number of the following areas:
- Knowledge of and passion for the performing arts and creative industries, especially in theatre, screen and radio, and a commitment to the nurturing of talent.
- A proven track record of leadership and organisational change.
- An understanding of management structures and experience in leading change, building empowered teams.
- An understanding of the international market for the dramatic arts.
- A demonstrable commitment to education, including an understanding of the Higher Education environment.
- An empathetic and empowering leadership style.
- An individual who puts the organisation above themselves and inspires confidence and trust in those around them.
- Commercial awareness and experience to identify and capitalise on the commercial opportunities within RADA.
The Royal Academy of Dramatic Art (RADA) offers world-leading training in acting and theatre production disciplines, inspiring students to experience the transformative possibilities of stage and screen. As award-winners and leaders in their fields - as actors, directors, writers, producers, lighting, sound and costume designers, prop makers, scenic artists, stage managers and production managers - our diverse student and graduate body make a significant contribution to the creative industries globally.
RADA is committed to equality, diversity and inclusion. Through this appointment process it is RADA’s aim to develop candidate pools that include applicants from all backgrounds and communities. RADA welcomes applications for all posts from people who identify as Black, Asian and Global Majority, people who are members of the LGBTQ+ community and those that identify as disabled.